Monday, April 11, 2011

Top Shops

I’ve had a few people ask me where I shop. If you’re ever in the city and want to go on a little shopping excursion here are my favorite go-to thrift and vintage stores, in no particular order.

1. Buffalo Exchange. There is a chain of these stores but my favorite by far is the one on Valencia Street. They always seem to have great everything – dresses, coats, shoes, etc. I’ve found that each store in this chain is sort of reflective of the neighborhood and most people our age in the Mission district have a unique, fun sense of style.
Buffalo Exchange at 1210 Valencia Street
This is also where my husband found the infamous cowboy boots that he gave to me for Christmas a few years ago. The same pair that I just wore under my wedding dress... 
Photo Courtesy of Kris Hosack (aka Reverend Ho)

2. Crossroads Trading Company. This is also a chain of stores, however, in my opinion, their inventory is a little less flashy then Buffalo. It’s a good go to place for standards – jeans and shirts. 

3. Wasteland. I used to spend a lot of time shopping in the Haight but as I’ve gotten older the crowds of tourists, teenagers and street kids have turned me off to the neighborhood but whenever I do make it to that part of town, I must stop here. They have some amazing vintage wears that aren’t overpriced.
Wasteland at 1660 Haight Street

4. Thrift Town. I actually went here for the first time a few weeks ago and it has the potential to be added to my rotation of stores. It’s one of those places that people of all ages go to….senior citizens looking for a bargain, moms looking for kids clothes, 20 and 30 somethings looking for that one hidden gem. It’s definitely one of those places where you can find some cool stuff BUT it takes forever to pick through everything. It’s 2 stories of clothing, shoes, kitchen ware and home décor.
Thrift Town at 2101 Mission Street

5. Held Over. You can find anything from a crazy Halloween costume to a really pretty vintage dress here. Definitely some unique stuff.
Held Over at 1543 Haight Street



6. Goodwill. There are a ton of these stores in the city alone but I think my favorite is the little one at 820 Clement Street. I always manage to find a few fun items here and I think that’s because it’s not in the most trendy of neighborhoods. It is mostly frequented by families whose taste in clothing and accessories are far different from mine.

7. Alameda Point Antiques Faire. If you are ever in the Bay Area on the first Sunday of the month, you must check this out. There are over 800 vendors here who sell anything from clothes to accessories to home furnishings. You need to give yourself at least a few hours to see most of it but if you’re ambitious like me I reserve the whole morning and afternoon to peruse all the booths. And just a word of advice – ladies, leave the men at home unless they are REALLY into antiquing. This is no place for the weary! My only complaint about this antiques fair is that because it has grown so popular over the years, I’ve noticed an overall increase in prices by most vendors. You can still find very reasonable stuff but you may also be quite surprised by some of the asking prices for things. For more info follow the link below.



 Hope everyone finds this list helpful! Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment